Friday, February 26, 2010

Erin's New Toy

A Catch-Up Post:

So Erin has been wanting the ability to use two monitors when she works from home for a long time. She asked recently again, and I thought, "No problem."

I mean I can just pop in a new video card, buy another monitor, and bamm!

Oh wait. Our computer was about 5 years old. It was a low end Dell. Still worked fine for what we needed, except motherboard wasn't really set up for expansion, or anything else. Putting in a new video card wasn't a good option.

So time to build a new computer. Then she had to choose her monitor. Except she wanted to keep the old computer for the kids, which meant I couldn't cannibalize it and we would need two new monitors. 22" for $150? Hell, let's go for it was her thought. So a pretty sweet dual core, raid drive machine with two monitors for under $750 is what we ended up with.

And her first reaction was, "I think I screwed up. This is too big for our office."

Followed awhile later by, "This is awesome!"

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!

    I wish you could see my setup. Being the "geek" that I am I also upgraded my system recently. I have the new Intel i7 (4 CPU's hyperthreaded = 8 virtual CPUs). Two monitors. 23" and a 30". 12G of RAM and 2.5TB HD. That's already quite a bit, but I doubled that. I have two computers running side by side. 4 screens (2x24", 1x23", and 1x30"). More CPU power than I can possibly consume right now.

    Hint: Move your Windows start menu to the right side of the left monitor (drag it as long as it's not locked). It'll be in the middle of the monitors and easily accessible. And it'll be easier to see what apps you have running.

    BTW: This is the setup I want: http://blog.jasonmorton.com/?p=24

    ReplyDelete