Friday, February 26, 2010

The Big Snow (s)

Another Catch-Up Post:

Ok, I know I posted some pictures from the last big snow. We had our big snow in December that was on the top ten snow falls in recorded history. I think they called it Snowpocalypse or something. Then a couple weeks ago, we got Snowmagedon. It was a lot more snow, and a lot heavier. I measured about 2 feet in the open, but later realized I could easily measure almost 3 feet in other spots. That snow started Friday night and ended late Saturday. Wednesday another winter whallop was scheduled. I took a trip to the store to get some spinach to make stuffed chicken breasts, and was greeted with this for a produce department:


And like I said, the snow ended Saturday night. This was Tuesday afternoon on the main road near our house:

The truck pulled more than one person up this hill that thought they could get around in two wheel drive. Wednesday we got Snoverkill (like all the names they came up with?) We only got about 8-10 inches out of that one, but since none of the previous snow had melted, it only made it more fun. Plus, that was technically a blizzard with winds over 30mph. Of course, we just caught the southern end of it. An hour north, people were stranded in 4ft+ snow drifts and the plows were taken off the roads for safety.

All in all, the federal government was closed for 38 hours straight (4 on Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and a 2 hour delay on Friday). Followed by President's Day on Monday. I just ended my first full week at work in what seems like forever. Not sure I'm up to another one next week.

All three of the storms I mentioned ranked in the top 10 for DC. Our total snowfall for this winter is now at the top of the list. Almost sad that today's big storm missed us to the north and nailed NYC instead. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment