Monday, June 22, 2009

Lawnmower Problems

So, Erin was mowing and I was weedeating yesterday. There's an embankment along the side of the road that needed weedeating, but I wanted to mow as much as possible first. So after Erin finished, I took the mower back out. Sitting on the left fender I was able to mow at about 40 degrees maybe along the side of the hill. Then the oil light flashed on and the engine started to die. Dang. Killed the engine and towed it back to the shop with the big tractor, kicking myself the whole time. I knew I was getting close to an oil change, and hadn't checked the level for awhile.

When I got into the shop, I checked the level and it was low, but still in range. Huh? So how bad could the damage be? I started pulling apart the Kohler 20hp single piston engine to find out. Not how I imagined Father's Day, but....

So the pickup for the oil pump is on the left side. I had all the oil tipped to the right side. Plus I just read that the engine is only designed for operation up to 25 degrees.


Well, here is the damage.


The crank has some aluminum from the connecting rod friction welded to it. Not sure if it can be cleaned up or if I need a new one. I'll find out tonight when I pull the crank. I'm hoping I can skip the $200 crank and just get by with the $90 for a new rod and gaskets. Time will tell. At least the oil is being changed at the same time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment