Monday, June 22, 2009

The Crankshaft Is OK!!!

I know you have all been concerned since my last post, so I'd thought I race up to the house and post the results of the crankshaft operation.....

First I had to get it out of the lawn mower. The poor patient looks a little worse for wear now:



Then very carefully with a file and many grits of wet-dry sandpaper I was able to remove the friction-welded aluminum from the journal surface and smooth the grooving a bit.

It's within spec, with minimum measurements at about 1.6134" and max measurements of 1.6141". That actually happens to be the min/max spec values exactly, and falls within the 0.001" out of round tolerance. We also meet the 0.0005" taper tolerance. It's nice that Kohler publishes these values in the service manual which is free to download. So the only question is surface finish, for which I can't find a spec. But I think I got it pretty good.


Now that I know you can all sleep better tonight, I will be able to sleep myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment