Thursday, April 15, 2010

I love my truck, but....

I do have a few choice words for the engineers that designed parts of it. Specifically the front wheel bearings:



This is a unit bearing. They cost hundreds of dollars each, you need two. The package weighed in at 52 lbs. The bearing is really a small part of this assembly. Normally, a 1 ton truck would require just the bearings and races which might cost up to $50 a side. And all the other metal (which never goes bad) would be re-used. Just look at all the splines they had to machine into this new "unit". You can also re-lubricate traditional bearings. While these are supposed to be maintenance free (ie, you cannot lubricate them), I'm not even at 100k and they need to be replaced. Heck, it even comes with a new integrated ABS sensor.

And Erin's upset that I scratched her countertop opening the package. It weighed so much I thought maybe they had sent me a whole new axle.

1 comment:

  1. Thus my continuing avoidance of truck ownership. Particularly a Ford, though I'm not sure there are any others that would be better-designed. All experience with similar design flaws (improperly-sized drive shaft, abysmal power to weight ratio, finicky 4WD mechanism) with my Ranger knocked Ford off my list a while ago.

    ReplyDelete